Nordic Lombardy: 5 Reasons to Visit the Rocca d’Anfo
15 June 2016
Lombardy hides plenty of gorgeous locations and it’s no secret, but I had no idea I was going to discover what seemed to be Nordic landscapes in my own region. Where to find it? Rocca d’Anfo, looking over the lake on a rainy day.
Sure, it’s not always pleasant to climb up to the observatory under the rain, but I can assure you it’s worth it. Here are 5 reasons to climb up to the Batteria Belvedere (one of the buildings on the Rocca):
- The views are beyond words.
- The Rocca seen from outside (and inside) will take you on a trip to the past without losing the present.
- You’ll travel through time, but also over a great deal of land. The high mountains that surround Lake Idro, the looming clouds, and the small villages on the lakeside will have you feeling like you’re in Norwegia.
- The frequent rain showers here means that surrounds the 334 fortifications that make up the Rocca are covered with green. The contrast between the walls and the vegetation is absolutely stunning.
- The weather in Val Sabbia changes rather quickly, so just when you think you’re ready to go, the sun will come out and you can stay a bit longer.