Desenzano del Garda
12 September 2016
Desenzano del Garda is a dynamic and lively city, full of memories and activities that intersect in the city centre’s busy streets. This city is an ideal destination for those wishing to have a holiday that has the perfect balance between relaxation and recreation, nature and culture. Tourists are able to enjoy any activity, from walks along the lakeside, the long pebbled beaches, shopping through the streets of the old town, the rich nightlife with diverse, modern bars. Desenzano has a lot to offer, providing any type of holiday tourists look for, as it makes use of all types of accommodation facilities and services tailored to the visitor.
Not to be missed:
– The castle overlooking the town, probably built on a Roman fort in defence of the barbarian invasions, was rebuilt in the communal period and reinforced in the fifteenth century, when it contained 120 houses and a church. Of the imposing building the walls remain, covered in the perimeter of the four towers and the tower entrance with the remains of a drawbridge. At the end of 19th century it was converted into barracks, functional until 1943. The recent recovery of the walls allows you to visit the walkway and to climb up to the tower entrance, which offers a splendid view of Lake Garda.
– The small port (called “Old Port”), which is spoken of already in 1274, was expanded at the time of the Venetian Republic to serve the burgeoning market of grains. On the ancient dock, you can see the arcades of the Todeschini palace, a building designed by the architect Giulio Todeschini as
the town hall. Leaning against the last column is the stone “of the unemployed”, where the town criers stood but were also doomed to failure. In 1806, the construction of the dock and the lighthouse began in the Nordic style, which, to this day, distinguishes the view of the lake, while the Venetian bridge is the work of the 1930s.
– The Roman villa of Desenzano, discovered in 1921, is the most important example in Northern Italy of the great late antiquity Villas. Built at the end of the first century BC, it had several phases until the first half of the fourth century AD. The villa overlooked the lake with docks, piers and possibly fish ponds for fish farming. With over 240 square metres of multicoloured mosaics of exquisite workmanship depicting scenes with cupids gathering grapes or chariot racing, maenads and satyrs, wild animals, allegories. It is possible that the owner was Flavius Magnus Decentius, brother of Magnenzio, hence the name of the city.
– The archaeological museum houses an almost complete plough from the early Bronze Age (2000 BC), considered the oldest specimen of its kind in the world. It also collects artefacts found along the southern shores of the Benaco from the Palaeolithic to the Bronze Age. Since 2011, the area of Lavagnone has been included in the list of pile-dwelling sites of the Alps protected by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. The headquarters of the museum are in the former Carmelite convent of Santa Maria de Senioribus. In the beautiful sixteenth century cloister is the preserved sarcophagus of Atilia Urbica (second to third century AD).